You may have heard of K. Chandrashekar Rao, or KCR, as he is popularly known. He is the founder and leader of the Bharat Rashtra Samithi, a state party in India.
In this blog post, we’ll tell you the fascinating story of K. Chandrashekar Rao, the man who changed the political landscape of Telangana and India. We’ll also share some interesting facts and trivia about him that you may not know. And we’ll show you how you can learn more about him and his vision for Telangana.
So, if you’re curious to know more about KCR, the first chief minister of Telangana, keep reading.
Who is K. Chandrashekar Rao?
K. Chandrashekar Rao was born on 17 February 1954 in Chintamadaka, a village in the Medak district of Telangana. He belongs to a farming family and has a humble background. He completed his schooling from Woodbridge high school and graduated from Osmania University with a degree in law.
He started his political career in 1980 as a member of the Indian National Congress, the oldest and largest political party in India. He later joined the Telugu Desam Party, a regional party founded by the legendary actor and politician N. T. Rama Rao, in 1983. He served as a minister of transport, drought and relief, and deputy speaker in the Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly.
He also became a member of parliament, representing the Karimnagar and Mahbubnagar constituencies in the Lok Sabha, the lower house of the Indian parliament. He also served as a minister of ports, shipping and waterways, and labour and employment in the central government.
However, he was not satisfied with the status quo of Andhra Pradesh, the state that comprised both Telangana and Andhra regions. He felt that the Telangana region was neglected and exploited by the Andhra region in terms of resources, development, and opportunities. He also believed that the Telangana people had a distinct cultural and linguistic identity that deserved recognition and respect.
That’s why he decided to quit the Telugu Desam Party and launch his own party, the Telangana Rashtra Samithi, or TRS, in 2001. His sole aim was to fight for the creation of a separate state for Telangana.
How K. Chandrashekar Rao Become Minister og Telangana?
K. Chandrashekar Rao faced many hurdles and hardships in his quest for Telangana. He had to face the opposition and criticism of the ruling parties, both at the state and the central level. He had to mobilize the masses and convince them of the need and the benefits of a separate state. He had to endure hunger strikes, arrests, and attacks.
But he did not give up. He persisted with his vision and his mission. He formed alliances and coalitions with other parties and groups that supported his cause. He participated in protests and rallies that raised the voice of Telangana. He negotiated and bargained with the authorities and the leaders that had the power to decide the fate of Telangana.
Finally, after a long and arduous struggle, he succeeded in his goal. On 30 July 2013, the Congress Working Committee, the highest decision-making body of the Indian National Congress, passed a resolution to bifurcate Andhra Pradesh and create a new state of Telangana. On 18 February 2014, the Parliament of India passed the Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation Act, 2014, that gave legal sanction to the formation of Telangana. On 2 June 2014, Telangana was officially born as the 29th state of India.
And K. Chandrashekar Rao became the first chief minister of Telangana, after his party, the TRS, won the majority of seats in the Telangana Legislative Assembly elections.
What did K. Chandrashekar Rao do as the chief minister of Telangana?
K. Chandrashekar Rao had a vision to make Telangana a progressive, prosperous, and powerful state. He initiated and implemented several schemes and policies that aimed to improve the lives and livelihoods of the people of Telangana, especially the farmers, the poor, the women, and the youth.
Some of his notable achievements as the chief minister of Telangana are:
- He launched the Mission Kakatiya, a flagship program to restore and rejuvenate the irrigation tanks and lakes in Telangana, to enhance the water availability and agricultural productivity in the state.
- He launched the Mission Bhagiratha, another flagship program to provide safe and piped drinking water to every household in Telangana, to ensure the health and hygiene of the people.
- He launched the Kalyana Lakshmi and Shaadi Mubarak schemes, to provide financial assistance to the families of the brides belonging to the backward and minority communities, to reduce the burden of marriage expenses and to prevent child marriages.
- He launched the Rythu Bandhu and Rythu Bima schemes, to provide financial support and insurance coverage to the farmers of Telangana, to reduce their distress and to encourage them to adopt modern and sustainable farming practices.
- He launched the Aasara pensions scheme, to provide monthly pensions to the elderly, the widows, the disabled, and the single women, to ensure their dignity and security in their old age.
- He launched the KCR Kit scheme, to provide a kit of essential items and cash incentives to the pregnant women and the newborn babies, to promote institutional deliveries and to reduce the maternal and infant mortality rates.
- He launched the Telangana Academy for Skill and Knowledge (TASK), to provide skill development and employability training to the youth of Telangana, to enhance their career prospects and to bridge the gap between the industry and the academia.
- He launched the T-Hub, India’s largest incubator for startups, to foster innovation and entrepreneurship in Telangana, to create a vibrant ecosystem for the growth of the technology sector in the state.
These are just some of the examples of the initiatives and achievements of K. Chandrashekar Rao as the chief minister of Telangana. He also focused on improving the infrastructure, the education, the health, the tourism, the culture, and the welfare of the state. He also played a key role in the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic, by imposing lockdowns, enforcing protocols, and providing relief and support to the affected people.
Interesting facts and trivia about K. Chandrashekar Rao?
K. Chandrashekar Rao is not only a politician, but also a person with a rich and diverse personality. Here are some interesting facts and trivia about him that you may not know:
- He is fluent in six languages: Telugu, Urdu, Hindi, English, Kannada, and Marathi.
- He is an avid reader and a writer. He has written several books and articles on various topics, such as politics, history, culture, and spirituality. He also has a collection of over 10,000 books in his personal library.
- He is a music lover and a singer. He likes to listen to classical and devotional music, especially the songs of the legendary singer Ghantasala. He also sings occasionally and has recorded a few songs for his party and his state.
- He is a religious and spiritual person. He follows the teachings of Sri Ramana Maharshi, a renowned sage and philosopher. He also visits various temples and shrines across India and abroad, and performs rituals and offerings for the well-being of his state and his people.
- He is a sports enthusiast and a cricket fan. He likes to watch and play cricket, and has also sponsored and supported several cricket tournaments and teams in Telangana. He also follows other sports, such as football, tennis, and badminton.
How can you learn more about K. Chandrashekar Rao and his vision for Telangana?
If you’re interested in learning more about K. Chandrashekar Rao and his vision for Telangana, you can visit his official website, where you can find his biography, his speeches, his interviews, his photos, his videos, and his social media links.
You can also read some of the books and articles written by him or about him, such as:
- Telangana Udyamam: Charitra Poraatam, a book written by K. Chandrashekar Rao, that chronicles the history and the struggle of the Telangana movement.
- Telangana: The State of Affairs, a book written by Kingshuk Nag, a journalist and an author, that analyses the political and economic aspects of the formation and the development of Telangana.
- KCR: The Man Behind Telangana, an article written by Ramesh Kandula, a senior editor and a columnist, that profiles the life and the career of K. Chandrashekar Rao.
Read More About:
- Is JoJo Siwa Pregnant? A Biography of the Young Star 2024
- Jonathan Hovain Hylton Net Worth: Bio, Wiki, Career and more
- Olivia Soli’s Mother: A Pillar of Strength and Love
We hope you enjoyed reading this blog post about K. Chandrashekar Rao, the first chief minister of Telangana. He is a remarkable leader who has made a lasting impact on the history and the development of Telangana and India. He is also a fascinating person who has a lot of interests and talents that you may not know.
If you want to learn more about him and his vision for Telangana, you can visit his website and follow him on social media. You can also read some of the books and articles written by him or about him